Madison County Rediscovered

Title

Madison County Rediscovered

Description

The Madison County Rediscovered Collection contains material taken from Lavinia H. Kubiak's "Madison County Rediscovered: Selected Historic Architecture." Written in 1988, Kubiak's book provides photographs, architectural descriptions, and bibliographic details for many of the historic homes, buildings, and places in Madison County, Kentucky. Kubiak's work was completed in conjunction with the Madison County Historical Society and the Kentucky Heritage Council.

Collection Items

Stockton House
The T-plan Stockton House on Lancaster Avenue is an excellent example of urban residential architecture built in the nineteenth century. The white painted frame structure consists of two-and-one-half stories, topped by a steeply pitched gable roof.…

Burnamwood
Erected for William Embry and his wife Mary Field, this house has been known as Burnamwood since 1868 when it was purchased by col. Curtis Field Burnam (1820-1909) and his wife Sarah Rollins (1825-1904). Col. Buram was a lawyer, a Kentucky state…

Arlington
Arlington was a generous gift to Eastern Kentucky University from W. Arnold Hanger in memory of his parents, Col. And Mrs. Harry Baylor Hanger. It presently serves as a faculty-alumni recreation center. The original house was constructed for Mr.…

James B. Miller House
As early as 1818, a house stood on this lot. The original portion, the present ell, was built for Hugh Goddin and was subsequently sold to George Shackelford in exchange for certain lots and $1,500. After Shackelford failed to meet his contact with…

204 Lancaster Avenue
The central portion of this two-story frame house, constructed in the early nineteenth century, was initially a one-bedroom structure. It was used as a law office by J. B. Miller, who once lived next door. Later, the building served as slave…

Shanks House
The nucleus of this one-and-one-half-story five-bay residence is recognized as being the oldest existing dwelling in Richmond. Considerably altered by a long ell at the rear and Classical Revival detailing, it was originally a Federal style…

Jonah Wagers House
The Jonah Wagers House is one of the largest Classical Revival dwellings in Richmond. Ornamentation of the two-story residence includes a repetitive use of certain features. For example, a one-story porch, spanning the width of the three-bay front…

Alex Mellinger House
This brick bungalow has steeply sloping gable roof, deep porch-covered facade, and characteristic overhanging flared eaves. Decorative details include a shingled gable dormer wih extended eaves supported by brackets, a porch with arched brick…

Lewis B. Herrington House
This two-story Three-bay residence is another of Richmond's examples of the American four-square house in the Classical Revival style. A low hipped roof is pierced on each side by a central gable dormer, and widely overhanging eaves have exposed…

Mrs. Willis Kennedy House
The Kennedy House faces Sunset Avenue, a street which was originally named Thurman Avenue for its developer Joe Thurman. The frame residence is an example of the two-story American four-square house. Built by local builder D. L. Cobb and executed in…
View all 166 items