Browse Items (160 total)

1988-009-016.tif
This Colonial Revival style building was originally the student union at Eastern Kentucky State Teachers College. The brick two-story edifice was designed by C. C. Weber, constructed by the Works Progress Administration, and named for Keen Johnson…

1988-009-018.jpg

1988-09-108.jpg
The first brick building on campus, Fairchild Hall was known as Ladies’ Hall from 1873 until 1937. Named for E. Henry Fairchild (1815-1889), the first president of Berea College (1869-1889) and an alumnus of Oberlin College in Ohio, this residence…

1988-009-021.jpg
Located less than one mile south of the original site of Fort Boonesborough, the Hart House is composed of two square log pens separated by a frame dogtrot, with an ell at the rear. V-notches at the corners connect the logs beneath the weatherboards.…

1988-009-022.jpg
Significant as one of the earliest permanent structures built by Madison County settlers, the Lisle House is constructed of logs covered with frame weatherboards. A wide dogtrot separates two rooms, each containing interior brick chimneys at the…

1988-009-023.jpg
The Whitney/Cobb House is important as an early nineteenth-century dwelling that displays late nineteenth-century detailing which was added during a major renovation. Brackets, beneath deeply projecting cornices, decorate gables and roof eves. The…

Tags:

1988-009-024.jpg
The Huguely / Green House is an example of the federal style that was expressed in houses built during the early nineteenth century in Madison County. The brick front, in typical Flemish bond, consists of three bays. Each window is surmounted by a…

Tags:

1988-009-025.jpg
This one-and-one-half story federal style brick house, now painted white, provides a good example of the durable masonry dwellings built for many settlers in Madison County. The three-bayed front facade, laid in Flemish bond, contains a central…

Tags: ,

1988-009-026.jpg
The Greek Revival style finds vernacular expression in the Dozier / Guess House. This building has a symmetrical three-bay facade, and weatherboarding sheaths this two-story log dwelling. The original floor plan included an open-ended dogtrot with…

Tags:

1988-009-027.jpg
Functioning as a general store and village center, the Shearer Store is an example of a mid-nineteenth century commercial building in rural Madison County. Conveniently located near a crossroad in the Union City community, the Shearer Store once…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2