Browse Items (11 total)

1988-09-108.jpg
The first brick building on campus, Fairchild Hall was known as Ladies’ Hall from 1873 until 1937. Named for E. Henry Fairchild (1815-1889), the first president of Berea College (1869-1889) and an alumnus of Oberlin College in Ohio, this residence…

1988-09-115.jpg
Edwards Hall was built in 1904 by students, as a practice project before they constructed Phelps Stokes Chapel. This three-story edifice was the college-operated high school for many years, the top floor serving as the boys’ dormitory.

The brick…

1988-09-113.jpg
Named for President Abraham Lincoln, this hall symbolizes the college’s identity as one of the first colleges in the South to be established specifically as an integrated institution. For this reason it has been designated a National Historic…

1988-09-112.jpg
Andrew Carnegie donated the funds for the stone portion of this building in 1905. It was one of the first of many libraries across the nation and state supported by Carnegie. Cady, Bergh, and See, New York City, were the architects for the original…

1988-09-110.jpg
Called a landmark in Berea’s labor history, Phelps Stokes Chapel on the Berea College campus was constructed by students under the supervision of professionals. After a Gothic style frame chapel burned in 1902, Miss Olivia Phelps Stokes offered to…

1988-09-109.jpg
This building is named for the wife of John A. R. Rogers, the first principal of Berea School. Elizabeth Embree Rogers was only eighteen when she arrived at Berea in 1858, although she immediately began teaching in the school. John Rogers…

1988-09-104.jpg
Formerly the residence of Berea College ’s third president, William Goodell Frost (1854-1938), this frame dwelling is still referred to by his name. President Frost was instrumental in the development of the student labor program at the college and…

1988-09-103.jpg
The history of the Union church of Christ has been closely related to Berea College. Like the college, this church was founded by John G. Fee (1816-1901) who served as its pastor from 1853 to 1895. Both Union Church and Berea College are…

1988-09-102.jpg
Boone Tavern, named in honor of Kentucky frontiersman Daniel Boone, stands along the original route of Boone’s Wilderness Road. Located next to Berea College , the inn opened in 1909 to provide lodging for visitors to the college. In 1910 a third…

1988-09-127.jpg
Both the Danforth Chapel and the adjoining Fireside Room were the gift of William H. Danforth, founder of the Ralston Purina Company of St. Louis, Missouri, and a trustee of Berea College . Architects Jamieson and Spearl were also from St.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2