Browse Items (21 total)

1988-009-024.jpg
The Huguely / Green House is an example of the federal style that was expressed in houses built during the early nineteenth century in Madison County. The brick front, in typical Flemish bond, consists of three bays. Each window is surmounted by a…

Tags:

1988-009-025.jpg
This one-and-one-half story federal style brick house, now painted white, provides a good example of the durable masonry dwellings built for many settlers in Madison County. The three-bayed front facade, laid in Flemish bond, contains a central…

Tags: ,

1988-009-040.jpg
When William Walker (1769-1841) married Jane Bates (1776-1839) in 1795, her parents had the first portion of this two-story house built as a wedding present. The Walker House, also referred to as the John D. Harris House and as the Cedars, was owned…

Tags: ,

1988-09-093.jpg
This brick house rests on land granted in 1792 to William Irvine (1763-1819). Madison County’s first county clerk. Built for a prominent lawyer and state senator, William Chenault (1773-1834), the Chenault House expresses the Federal style. A…

Tags: ,

1988-09-088.jpg
Sleepy Hollow, only slightly visible from Boonesborough Road, was first the residence of Robert Tevis (1761-1823) and his wife, Mary Hobbs. In addition to his farming interest, Tevis became county magistrate and a deputy surveyor to the official…

1988-09-073.jpg
Now known as Bernard Hall Farm, this structure was built in 1812 by David Crews (1740-1821), a Revolutionary War veteran, an early inhabitant and trustee of Boonesborough, ferry operator, and tobacco warehouse inspector. The original Federal style…

Tags: ,

1988-09-070.jpg
Built in 1840 for Maj. James Blythe (1794-1873), Blythewood was at one time part of an estate that comprised over 2,500 acres. Although no architect can be documented, the many features of Blythewood are similar to several houses in Lexington…

Tags: ,

1988-09-066.jpg
Thomas Turner was the first owner of this one-story brick Federal-style house, although by 1876 C. N. Fitzpatrick was the owner.

Flemish bond was laid for the front facade, while the side facades are five course common bond. Both interior en…

Tags: ,

1988-09-063.jpg
Nicholas Hawkins, a stage coach operator and the county’s first court-licensed miller (1793), was the first owner of the east portion of this house. Initially, it was a two-story three-bay rectangular log pen. Another building on the site is of the…

Tags: ,

1988-09-054.jpg
The Stephenson House was initially a one-and-one-half-story, single-pile residence. The white painted brick house remains small in scale despite some additions. A three-bay frame ell with an enclosed porch extends from the rear of the early portion.…

Tags: ,

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2