Browse Items (11 total)

1988-009-027.jpg
Functioning as a general store and village center, the Shearer Store is an example of a mid-nineteenth century commercial building in rural Madison County. Conveniently located near a crossroad in the Union City community, the Shearer Store once…

1988-009-031.jpg
One of the few antebellum Gothic Revival style dwellings in rural Madison County, the Griggs House, once the residence of a Waco postmaster, exhibits details of this style both inside and out. Three wall gables dominate the front facade, each one…

1988-09-119.jpg
This one-and-one-half-story frame residence recalls the Gothic Revival style that was popular in the nineteenth century. Gothic fleur-de-lis and cusp motifs are repeated along the bargeboard under the eaves and at the gable ends. A centralized,…

1988-09-088.jpg
Sleepy Hollow, only slightly visible from Boonesborough Road, was first the residence of Robert Tevis (1761-1823) and his wife, Mary Hobbs. In addition to his farming interest, Tevis became county magistrate and a deputy surveyor to the official…

1988-09-072.jpg
Mt. Pleasant Christian Church was one of the early Disciples of Christ churches in Madison County. Organized from the union of two earlier congregations in this vicinity, Mt. Olivet and Pleasant Hill, the rectangular building was designed in the…

1988-09-061.jpg
The Kirksville congregation of Disciples of Christ was founded in 1849, with the present frame building constructed in 1878. The Gothic Revival church features a steep gable roof with narrow angled brackets under the eaves and at the gable ends. One…

1988-09-148.jpg
The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1827. The original building was erected on this site in 1828, making it one of the first churches in Richmond. The present brick structure, the church’s third building, was constructed in 1921. The…

1988-09-171.jpg
Founded in 1871 as a mission, the Episcopal church in Richmond was originally a small white frame building at the corner of West Main and Tates Creek Avenue. The present site of Christ Episcopal Church was purchased from the adjacent Baptist Church…

1988-09-186.jpg
The Taylor House is a two-story frame residence with clapboard siding. Its first owner Mr. Taylor, a carpenter, reputedly constructed the house himself, using scraps of different woods.

Originally single-pile, the house contains five bays on…

1988-09-187.jpg
Mt. Pleasant was built for George Brown, the father-in-law of Solomon Smith (1808-1870) who was a wealthy local merchant. The residence, named for its second owner, today overlooks downtown Richmond from a steeply sloping hillside. Steps led up the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2