Browse Items (22 total)

1988-09-108.jpg
The first brick building on campus, Fairchild Hall was known as Ladies’ Hall from 1873 until 1937. Named for E. Henry Fairchild (1815-1889), the first president of Berea College (1869-1889) and an alumnus of Oberlin College in Ohio, this residence…

1988-009-037.jpg
According to oral tradition, the three Gibbs brothers built three identical Italianate style houses, two at this location and the third on Jack Logan Road. The Thomas Gibbs House has four pairs of pillars supporting an overhanging porch roof on the…

Tags:

1988-09-075.jpg
White Hall, the most widely-known historic house in Madison County, was the residence of the “Lion of White Hall,” Cassius Marcellus Clay (1810-1903). Clay was a Kentucky legislator, U.S. minister to Russia during the Lincoln, Johnson, and Grant…

Tags:

1988-09-069.jpg
Holly Hill was built for William Stanton Hume 1832-1895), owner of the county’s largest distillery and a prominent resident, after he had an earlier brick structure on the site demolished. The two-story brick residence was originally Italianate in…

Tags:

1988-09-052.jpg
A Greek Revival style residence, Rolling Meadows is important as an example of Madison County’s mid-nineteenth century frame architecture. The first owner of the house was John Duerson.

Rolling Meadows is a two-story frame structure with…

1988-09-124.jpg
This two-story clapboard-covered frame residence has Italianate influence in its design. It is asymmetrical T-shaped plan with a wrap-around porch. Turned wooden posts support a frieze of turned spindles, and curved brackets create an arcaded effect.…

Tags:

1988-09-133.jpg
The Clay and Harris House is the only Italianate style multi-residence with a side passage plan in Richmond. A double house, it has always been held by two different owners; one of the original owners, Mrs. Frank Clay (nee Watson), was the wife of a…

Tags:

1988-09-135.jpg
Dr. John McCord Harris (b. 1813), a noted physician of Richmond, once lived in this house, Richmond’s second oldest residence. A brick structure in the rear may have served as Dr. Harris’s office. After the battle of Richmond in 1862 wounded…

1988-09-136.jpg
This structure was built for William S. Hume (1832-1895), owner of Hume Distillery on Silver Creek. Later, James Bennett McCreary (1838-1918) resided here until his death on October 8, 1918. Besides the distinction of severing two separate terms as…

Tags:

1988-09-141.jpg
A three-story pyramidal tower tops this brick residence which was built for Anthony Rollins Burnam (1846-1919). A distinguished citizen of Madison County, Burnam was a lawyer, bank president, judge on the Kentucky Court of Appeals, and a state…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2