Samuel Hanson House

Title

Samuel Hanson House

Description

The Hanson House was the residence of Samuel Hanson, landscape gardener for Berea College and a member of the family of John G. Hanson, one of the Berea leaders forced to flee Kentucky in 1859. Also among the first to return, John Hanson owned a sawmill that supplied much of the lumber for the school’s early buildings.
A central entrance, which contains sidelights and transom, forms one of three bays on the street facade and distinguishes this two-story frame residence. A porch, added around 1940, extends across the width of the front and has Tuscan-like columns which frame the central doorway. A latticed balcony adds to the formal effect. A second-story paired window directly above the entrance door reiterates the symmetry which is only interrupted by a bay window on one side facade. Two corbelled-capped interior chimneys, unusual in Madison County architecture, pierce the metal hipped roof. Brackets under the cornice complete the design. The interior features curved walls in the central passage, elegantly-crafted woodwork, and built-in corner cupboards.

Creator

Kubiak, Lavinia

Date

1986

Contributor

Madison County Historical Society

Format

PHOTOGRAPH/5x7

Type

image

Identifier

1988-009-122
http://library-old.eku.edu/historicmadison/items/show/1666
http://library-old.eku.edu/historicmadison/archive/files/d28ba55973aaec11af234e343f98c975.jpg

Files

1988-09-122.jpg

Citation

Kubiak, Lavinia, “Samuel Hanson House,” Historic Madison, accessed September 19, 2017, http://historicmadison.omeka.net/items/show/1365.

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>