Huguely / Green House

Title

Huguely / Green House

Description

The Huguely / Green House is an example of the federal style that was expressed in houses built during the early nineteenth century in Madison County. The brick front, in typical Flemish bond, consists of three bays. Each window is surmounted by a jack arch. A header-stretcher jack arch over the central door subtly varies varies from the regular jack arches over the windows. A raised stoned foundation provides added height to this two-story hilltop dwelling.
The central passage floor plan has internal gable and chimneys in both rooms. Original features which survive include walnut door moldings and poplar baseboards and mantels. The Huguely / Green House remains in a rural setting, visible front he surrounding countryside of rolling hills.

Creator

Kubiak, Lavinia

Date

1986

Contributor

Madison County Historical Society

Format

PHOTOGRAPH/5x7

Type

image

Identifier

1988-009-024

Files

1988-009-024.jpg

Tags

Citation

Kubiak, Lavinia, “Huguely / Green House,” Historic Madison, accessed September 19, 2017, http://historicmadison.omeka.net/items/show/1440.

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>