The Whitney/Cobb House is important as an early nineteenth-century dwelling that displays late nineteenth-century detailing which was added during a major renovation. Brackets, beneath deeply projecting cornices, decorate gables and roof eves. The arcaded wrap-around porch is the most distinguishing feature with its complex millwork including segmental arches, scrolled brackets, and pendants. A V-notched log outbuilding located behind the main house provides a distinct contrast. During the Civil War the Whitney/Cobb House served as a tavern and stagecoach shop; and, reputedly, Union General Ulysses S. Grant once lodged overnight in it.
Madison County Historical Society
Kubiak, Lavinia, “Cobb House,” Historic Madison, accessed June 22, 2018, http://historicmadison.omeka.net/items/show/1441.