Browse Items (160 total)

1988-009-028.jpg
The Moberly House is noteworthy as an example of the additive nature of many nineteenth-century vernacular dwellings. The house began as a two-story rectangular single-pen log structure having massive exterior stone-end chimneys. Two-story frame…

Tags:

1988-009-031.jpg
One of the few antebellum Gothic Revival style dwellings in rural Madison County, the Griggs House, once the residence of a Waco postmaster, exhibits details of this style both inside and out. Three wall gables dominate the front facade, each one…

1988-009-034.jpg
Located in the small rural community of Bybee, Bybee Pottery is the oldest existing pottery west of the Alleghenies and the oldest industry in Madison County. Although the earliest surviving sales records date from 1845, it is believed that the…

1988-009-036.jpg

Tags:

1988-009-037.jpg
According to oral tradition, the three Gibbs brothers built three identical Italianate style houses, two at this location and the third on Jack Logan Road. The Thomas Gibbs House has four pairs of pillars supporting an overhanging porch roof on the…

Tags:

1988-009-038.jpg
The date 1865 is inscribed in one of the internal chimneys of this vernacular farmhouse. Four generations of the same family have been born here, beginning with John Robinson who operated a store and post office across the road.

A one-story…

1988-009-039.jpg
White's Memorial Church is the only remaining country Presbyterian church in Madison County. It was known as Silver Creek Chapel when it was dedicated in 1877. the original 75'x30' building was given by Margaret Faulkner White Breckenridge as a…

1988-009-040.jpg
When William Walker (1769-1841) married Jane Bates (1776-1839) in 1795, her parents had the first portion of this two-story house built as a wedding present. The Walker House, also referred to as the John D. Harris House and as the Cedars, was owned…

Tags: ,

1988-09-081.jpg
Significant for its architecture as well as its history, the log and clapboard dwelling rests at the foot of Big Hill in southern Madison County. The three front entrances are notable features. One leads to the “saddle room,” while another has a…

1988-09-121.jpg
This frame dwelling was at one time the residence of Charles Lester, an 1873 graduate of Berea College who served also as one its trustees from 1878 to 1896. The two-story T-plan residence contains clapboard siding, paired scrolled brackets, and a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2